Monday, October 01, 2007

What’s in a name? Lots apparently.

I’ve got a pretty uncommon name thanks to my aunt. So once a senior I knew from the Library Club (I was a geek. Ok…Still am) came up and asked me how my name was spelt, I gamely replied. Next I knew, there was another Cherisse in school. What made it worse was that we had mutual friends and soon I was saying and doing things I never knew about. Gosh was I mad but there was nothing I could do.

Silly childish stunts from another age yes but these are all too common in the marketplace with little sprout-ups mimicking the names of more famous established global predecessors by adding Pte Ltd or Sdh Bhd or Co Ltd and the likes.

1. Pure Coincidence
OR
2. Totally Deliberate

*coughs* most of the time 2 and I shan’t give examples of BIG COMPANY VS COPYCAT lest I get a legal letter rather than a paycheck as I step in to my second month with Marketing.

We know all about free-riders. They turn up at food fares poking conveyor-belt-style at samples, or are acquaintances turned best pals when they know you drive after a night out. Similarly these folks are like such, they simply piggy-bag on big names, grovelling and shoving their snouts into market pie - hoping to make a buck from appellation - fleecing unwitting clients. And many do succeed.

Well as the saying goes 'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery' but somehow it does make you grimace and scrunch your face when you’re the person in question. And if you’re an industry bigwig and with spare change and trademarks just sue the pants out of the other party.

No comments: