Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Merry merry hopefully not quite contrary?

A new year and a clean slate to work with – for us poor sods back at work already (about half the world is still on leave till next Monday) how has your first working day of the year?

After two weeks away from my desk, I’m just emerging from a brain-induced holiday haze and finding my momentum, which is coming along albeit fitfully. But I really have nothing to complain about – because it looks to me like it’s going to be a great year.

And according to a study by UM, the majority of Singaporeans concur with me. On a scale of 10 (with 10 being perfect), Singaporeans have already forecasted that this year will rate as a 7.32, as opposed to last year’s 6.81 rating. While the study was spot on (for me at least) with attributing the optimism to more plans for overseas holiday jaunts, making a resolution to save more (although how I can save more while planning for more holidays is a mystery to me, but heck, at least it makes me feel purposeful), and hopefully gearing up a notch with the keeping fit goal (not withstanding the extra strong cup of coffee I had this morning, extra sweet please Uncle Seng), it was the little things that happened today that made me feel optimistic.

Like the surprise I got when I stepped into the office to find that the boss had thrown away all my junk from under and around my desk while I was away.

Like finding that someone had finally replaced the ceiling lamps with white lightbulbs, instead of the eye straining yellow lights that bugged me no end on many a late night.

Like hearing that in what seemed like eons (five years to be exact), Y&R has finally made a long awaited appointment and got on board a PR person to handle the agency’s public relations duties – we can now officially bug ex-Grayling PR staffer Justin Low no end.

So if like me you’re feeling optimistic about the new year, here’s Marketing’s best wishes for you – and cheers to a great 2007!

No comments: